Thursday, October 8, 2009

Everything Was Fine


Nautilus Smiles

It was around 3:30 pm when I got to Nautilus Middle School. I was feeling a little nervous; I really didn’t know where to go in by. I finally got out of my car and just went in through the nearest entrance. I went right in and I asked the security if I needed to check in. He opened this red folder and so I signed in. He then directed me to another office, and said I needed to speak to a lady called Luz. Luz was very welcoming and nice; I turned in my volunteer paper, my ID, and my volunteer number. Everything was fine and I was cleared; I was ready to go and meet the kids.

At around 3:40 pm the bell rang. Luz and I started walking to the class where the kids where going to be. When we got there, the kids where still not there. I was so nervous I didn’t know what to expect. I had heard from previous mentors that they were nice and sweet kids, but still I was nervous. The eventually started arriving; Luz was giving them a cookie with a juice. They all looked so innocent and loving.

After that I found out they are writing a book for the children in Nicaragua, so they had to pick topics to write about. So we broke up into groups. I got a group full of girls and one boy. Emily and I were in charge. At the beginning they were a little rowdy, but then they got it together and it went smooth. There were two little girls Malaya and Estrella that caught my attention they are super smart. I really loved it, and I can’t wait to do back on Thursday.

~Marilyn Fernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment